Skip to main content

Brief History

The Reading Room Association of Gouverneur was founded in 1886 by the
members of the Women's Christian Temperance Union.  The present building was
erected in 1900 through generous gifts of Judge James Smith and
Mr. Newton Aldrich. Additional rooms were added in 1953 and 1970 and a
handicapped ramp and lift in 1995. The newest addition completed in 2008 was
the renovation of the attic into the Library Loft, an area for quiet reading
and study.
     There are currently 10 public access computers with Internet access, a
photocopier, fax machine, scanner, microfilm reader/printer, TV, VCR and DVD
player for public use.  The community room is available for group meetings.
The library circulates videotapes, DVDs and books on cassette and CD, as well
as books and magazines. Many varied programs are held throughout the year for
children and adults.
     Using the NCLS CATalog patrons are able to search, request and renew books
on-line.